Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bread new world... the early years

I have begun to go through the therapeutic process of NOT being scared of baking... I mean ask me to make anything... bulgogi, sushi, beef Wellington (with bought puff pastry)... anything... really... just DO NOT ask me to make pizza dough, a crusty baguette, or dinner rolls... I quake in fear and intimidation..

I recently read an article about using a dutch oven and NOT kneading the dough... the idea was that people like me who where terrified by baking a loaf of bread could do it...

One does not necessarily have to go with the other... I am not afraid of the kneading part... heck not even sure what gives me pause... but what I have found it this... I do knead it (it gets a better texture and chew) and I do bake it in a covered dutch oven... the crust is sublime!

The pictures below are of one of my first loaves... note that the crumb is quite fine... it was a fabulous bread toasted... I have also tried aging a batch of dough in the fridge for a few days... gives a nice pre sour dough taste without mucking around with a starter.

I will do a step by step and types of flour I've been using next time... but for now... I do have a loaf in the (dutch) oven to go with from scratch chicken soup on a rainy winter day.



No comments:

Post a Comment