Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dance in my seat good!

There are some things that just have a mixture of flavors that when you taste it... you can't help but smile and do a little dance. Chimichurri (or my version of it...) does just that... it makes me happy.

The flavors are phenomenal on steak (cooked rare, of course), and chicken, and salmon, and shrimp, and seared scallops, and dipping bread in it borders on religious...

I don't care what people say about it's roots and uses in Argentina... whether it is or is not the 'ketchup' of Argentina... to me... it is a trifecta of flavors and good for you to boot!


I make my Chamychurri like this...

1.5 cups of flat leaf parsley
5 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of sherry wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of lime juice (fresh)
2 tablespoons of lemon juice (fresh)
3/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 good sized shallot
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup extra light olive oil
1 teaspoon of kosher salt

I like mine nice and textural...a quick rough chop of the parsley, garlic, shallots, and salt/pepper first... pulse in the food processor about 10 times. Then add the citrus, vineagar, oregano and red pepper flakes. Pulse 10 more times. I like to let mine sit for about 30 minutes before adding the olive oil. Then add the olive oil and let sit for 30 minutes more. It will stay bright green for the first day or so and then gets a little army looking... but the flavors are still amazing... if not better.

You can also pulse everything BUT the citrus and vineagar and freeze in a ziploc bag until needed. Adding lemon & lime juice and vineagar once thawed.

I have to tell you.... chimichurri potato salad is phenomenal... just don't think vampire Bill will come calling anytime soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment