Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Who cut the cheese? (Not me!)

I have issue with cheese… and I don’t mean gastrointestinally…

Throughout time mankind’s ability to see something edible in the oddest of places fascinates me...

  • Kopi Luwak "Hey Bubba, did y’all see what just came out of that cat's bee-hind? I think we should roast it and sell it for $60 a pound! But maybe we should wash it off first. (Don’t ask me why the Malaysians sound like rednecks…)


I have to say… I’ve tried it… and while it does not taste like shit…

Not really feeling the allure…  and I do loves me my coffee

Okay, for those of you not familiar with Kopi Luwak… it is basically coffee beans eaten by a certain type of cat (civet)… the beans are collected once the cat has evacuated them… mainly ‘harvested’ in Indonesia, Sumatra, Bali, Java and the Philippines.
  • Alcoholic beverages that contain intentional human saliva…  the word lugee comes to mind…
        Many cultures do this still… but why did they start?
  • Chocolate… raw cacao tastes awful… I don’t care what the Whole Foods crowd says… so what I want to know… is back in the day… some Mayan said “Hey, this tastes like shit… let’s see what we can do to gussie it up”… Um… when I eat something that tastes bad… I tend to not want to eat it again… unless it was liver and my mom was watching… and then I just covered it with any and every condiment I could find.
So here I am… milking a goat, sheep or cow or what not… and I suddenly think to myself… !eureka!…enzymes (although I don't believe they called them that)… bacteria… mold… Oh! And we’ll let it sit around for a few weeks… that will be PERFECT… magnifique! Mwah!


I don’t get it…

Okay… so it’s partly texture… I can hone in on the most minute piece of hard cooked egg white in a potato salad… tofu in an exercise in torture… cottage cheese should be abolished more than any Chicago fois gras…

Smell is another… kimchee, limburger, cooked pork chops, ripe cantaloupe, fish sauce… there are some things I have slowly moved past issues of aroma… kimchee for one… but others… I just can’t…

So cheese… I wish I could explain my cheese neuroses… it baffles many… and it is “to be continued”

No comments:

Post a Comment